Shorties...

    Thursday, April 26, 2007

    #23
    The madnes of the city rulers

    Spring is here. The grass is green, the trees are green and blossoming, little birdies fly around and sing their songs. A beautiful picture, even in the big city.
    Whenever spring comes, there is this bell in people's minds that rings and tells us "It's time to clean up your shit, help the nature keep it's beauty, put some effort for your own good and the good of others" (or, yeah, whatever, I hope you know what I mean).
    Now, apparently, the bell in our beloved mayor Boyko Borisov had rung... ding.dong.ding.dong. It is all good, you know. I haven't seen Sofia with clean streets for a very long time. Just to open a bracket here - Sofia is the dirtiest city in Bulgaria and, no, it is not because it is the capital and it is big, it is just dirty, we are pigs really, we can't keep it clean. So once a year a miracle happens and someone up above decides that spending some extra money to clean the streets is not such a bad idea. So this kind of miracle is taking place now.
    I walked 5 blocks to get to work today. I walked on just cleaned streets. It felt good. Everything looked fresh and clean and it smelled clean. I am pretty sure I had a smile on my face because of this.
    All good you think and well done... Now let me explain to you why I had to walk 5 blocks today... The brilliant mind of someone who is responsible for all this "Clean Sofia" thing decided that the perfect time for doing this is 7:00 - 16:00h. Streets are closed, cars get towed away just so the big trucks and the cleaners (those are so not the proper names here, but... anyway) can do their work. There are relatively many cars here and closing one street can cause big troubles, now imagine closing 4-5 streets at a time. The traffic jam was huge! This was yesterday, this was today and will be until it's all clean. And it is sooo stupid.
    Everywhere in the world massive cleaning like this happens during the night!!! Think people, think... it would have been so much easier for everyone if you cleaned during the night. I and many other people wouldn't be late for work, a lot less nerves would have been spent... Anyway.
    You get my big applause for the idea, but next time, please think it through first!
    ETA: Oops, forgot to spell check. All is good now ;)

    1 comment:

    MKB said...

    Ohhh I know why they're cleaning now!!! How nice of them. :D

    Awww but P., think about it, how well do you clean when it's pitchdark? I've never heard of it being done in the middle of the night! And walking during spring isn't so bad...

    (I'm in a cheerful mood, sorry.)

    Oh, and for some reason, the fact that your mayor is/was the coach of the national karate team makes me giggle. A lot. Like,

    "You must clean the streets!"
    "No!"
    *karatekick*

    Man I'm silly today.