Shorties...

    Wednesday, June 11, 2008

    #106

    So, I am a racist. Obviously.
    I make mean statements about certain groups according to their race (which applies to the definition of racism to some extent). Obviously I do that quite often and people notice it. Usually statements similar to a certain one I made recently exist in my mind by the way of a joke and I suppose it is only funny for me and I really shouldn't be joking with serious stuff.

    I only wonder when I say things like this about... hm... how to state this... I will say "my" people, why no one is labeling me and everyone go with the joke. Funny.
    I also think, no, I believe that everybody, absolutely everybody, has thought racist thoughts at some point of their live.

    I am no hater, I am not violent and trust me, out of all my friends and family, I would be the one that would hand change to some beggar (read gypsy here), I would be sitting next to one in the bus and won't be freaked or something (of course if they don't smell too bad or are not too dirty). I would treat them no different that any other person. I show respect and I am kind. But I am also allowed to not like a certain group of a certain race, whenever a group of this certain group of a certain race beats the shit out of a good friend of mine, breaks his nose, provokes a concussion of the brain, steals his belongings and leaves him unconscious on the road. I am sorry but my tolerance has some limits.

    Call me a racist, call me dumb, call me awful, call me whatever. This is me, I am not perfect, I cross the line sometimes, it is true, but I also think that there are times when things really shouldn't be taken so seriously and also that behind everything there is a reason (at least for me). I am not a bad person.


    4 comments:

    MKB said...

    Everyone has thought racist thoughts - yes. I think you're right here. It's very easy to generalise, and thinking happens fast. I often catch myself thinking of all Americans as asshole selfish religious idiots, but of course I know they're not really all that way. It's easy to think.

    Of course you're not a bad person. You have a right to joke about whatever you want. You choose to joke about things you think are funny. What I don't get is why you would joke about things when you know it upsets other people. It depends on people's sense of humour and how much they can take, of course. But when you realise that the jokes you make, whether racist or not, are consider very nasty by some of your friends, why would you continue to make them? Then you're just pushing buttons, and of course people are going to get angry if you push their buttons.

    That a member of a certain group beat up and robbed one of your friends doesn't have the least bit to do with what group they were born into. If you were smacked by a Spanish guy, that wouldn't mean all Spanish people are nasty people-smackers. I understand where it comes from, and it doesn't make you a bad person, but I do consider this a racist way of thinking. Of course you don't tolerate people who beat and rob others. But does that have anything to do with what religion they belong to, the colour of their skin, etc.?

    "I am also allowed to not like a certain group of a certain race, whenever a group of this certain group..."

    See? From my point of view, this doesn't make sense. You dislike the people that beat him up. You don't then go on to consider all the rest of them bad bad people as well. I'm sure there's a group of Bulgarian men living somewhere in the Netherlands that enjoy beating up people. There are bad people everywhere. That doesn't mean all Bulgarians are bad people.

    You should live the way you think is right. I'm just giving you my opinion. I'm not telling you to change, I'm not telling you you're a bad person. I just disagree.

    P. said...

    In this case I am very much allowed to generalize. You just don't know how things are here, so please save it!
    And as I clearly said in the post I treat equally everyone here, even if I have bad experience with someone, then I just keep a thing in mind.
    One more thing... you said it yourself... "thinking is easy" and "thinking happens fast" and then again you jump on me right away. Why don't you consider the fact that I might have reacted like this, based my previous experience and that my initial reaction had nothing to do on pushing someone's buttons...

    But you know what, fuck it...

    MKB said...

    That's right, I forgot - I'm from Western Europe, I'm not allowed to participate in discussions like these, as I clearly have no brain. My deep apologize. I shall now leave your blog and return to my life of safety and wealth.

    P. said...

    I don't know to cry or to laugh here. Cause all this is becoming ridiculous. I so didn't mean my words as you interpreted them.
    I get misunderstood a lot lately, so I'd better shut up and stop offending the people that matter to me...